Doing the best thing - and doing it best!

A few years ago, I was reading an interview of a famous actor in a leading daily. One part of his interview touched my heart. He was asked if he was interested in directing a movie to which he replied-"I want to act only. This is the best thing I can do and do it well."

Was he restricting himself to a safer zone of his career? Should not one take risks in his life to venture into something new- to grow and learn? I found answer to this question from my personal experience. I was preparing for various competitive exams. Even after hard work (what I think) I couldn't score well in the two exams of banking jobs.

It was a disheartening experience for me as I had devoted much time to prepare myself for these two exams and I was feeling very confident to get very good score also. However, this experience taught me a lesson of lifetime-"Do your best but do what you can do best"

If you are a good singer and has been singing for last many years, I am sure, you have the potential to excel in singing. But if you suddenly decide to try your hand in dancing and switch your career to this line, I may doubt your commonsense. But what you will say if I do something similar in my career also!! Yes, I was doing the same thing. After spending more than 10 years into teaching computers, I was trying my hand in banking line. I realised that I am already a good teacher and can become an excellent one if I push myself and polish my teaching skills more.

In India (and perhaps, in many other countries) most of us choose our occupation based on what our parents want us to do or what is in demand. Later, one becomes very much accustomed to his routine and also becomes proficient in his/her chosen stream. Later in life, a spark which had been lying dormant till date, activates itself and pushes one to follow his passion. I have read stories of bureaucrats turning chefs, full-time writers etc.

If you earn well from your work and love it also, you are on right track. But if either is missing please identify the factors which are causing you to miss on one. I personally believe that loving your profession is more important than just earning from it without enjoying it. One day will come when you would be earning a lot from your work, since nobody can stop a person from succeeding in the profession he loves.


"Just Love What You Do and the World Will Love You and Your Work."

Comments

  1. Great words.....i totally agree....👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Upasana ji for liking my ideas. The situation I mentioned perhaps applies to many of us.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sipping juice and thinking

Ideas are as great as you want