Education needs no System!

Last night I was helping my son remember a small speech he was supposed to deliver in his school the next day. My wife asked me to hear out what he had remembered so far. He stuck at a particular sentence twice as he failed to recall a word (kind of a keyword, which might help him to recall the following text). I advised him to understand and memorize the context and the purpose of the message not the exact words. He retorted, “How will then I remember if I don’t remember exactly what is mentioned here?” He then snatched the notes from me and started reading it aloud (it helps to cram, I mean, memorize any content you read).

I was lost into thoughts. I want to relate this incident with the situation of our education system. I myself am a college lecturer. I have been teaching computer science for last 13 years. Of all the students I have taught till date, I have found that only 5% students are willing to go extra mile, who wish to learn more, do some experiments and seek answers to their queries. What about the rest of big 95%? All the other students have some common traits:

1. They too seek answer. The answer to a big question- “What are the important questions?” All of them are keen to mark such questions in their books, for the obvious purpose. They don't go beyond that. They will never ask question after the lecture when invited. (Actually, most of these students are not sure what to ask.
2. At least 40% of these students attend less than 50% of lectures. Their (out of class) college life might be more interesting than the 5%.
3. In exam days, they rely on their memory to memorize (cram, rather) the ‘important' pages and questions.
4. Interestingly, most of these students score well in final exams. After all, they have been using the ‘time-tested formula to clear the exams; cramming and answer slips.

What else one needs? A good score in your degree will ensure your eligibility to apply for various jobs. This ‘time-tested janm ghutti’ is being administered to our school kids the day they start learning one two three.

In the field of psychology & behavioural sciences, it is said that if you do something for 21 days, it becomes your habit. How about doing something for 10 years, 15 years? Cramming the theoretical (even practical ones too) subjects is part and parcel of most of the students.

I initially wondered why 95% students behave the same? After analysing, I then realised that I have been no exception. To deal with the subjects which I found dull or difficult, I too followed the suit in my student years.

Is no there a way to come out of this cycle? When our education system will start focusing on teaching our kids the values of life and the practical ways to face the challenges of life? Why not our education system trains our kids to be confident and self-dependent, regardless of their exam scores? 

I am very keen to see that day...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doing the best thing - and doing it best!

Sipping juice and thinking

Ideas are as great as you want